Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mackeson XXX Stout


The Masculine, boldly colored label definitely gives you the impression that this is going to a very traditional stout when you pick it up at the store. I was not expecting the malted chocolate taste to be so overwhelming in this beer. Maybe if I had I would not have been so disappointed with the end result. Mackeson Triple Stout is really good for what it is- a novelty beer. The other flavors are there in a very subtle way but they all add up to a cereal taste to this Stout. I can imagine a few brewmasters getting together and saying 'Lets make a beer that tastes like Ovaltine, nobody else has done that!'.

Ok that might be a little too harsh, but I really was let down here. For people that like their beer to have extremely distinct and complicated flavorings this is definitely to be checked out. Mackeson Triple Stout is obviously crafted with love and affection with top quality ingredients, but that doesn't mean its for everyone. For people who don't like chocolate spilled in their beer, like myself, this is not very good. File this under the 'I wanted to like it but couldn't' category. Not Recommended.

Also: I will be labeling Mackeson as a domestic. Even though it originated in England it is brewed in Cincinnati for the American market. Just to clear up any confusion, because you cared right?

SECOND OPINION: Minha's Mountain Creek
I just realized you have to be in the right mood to appreciate the sweetness of this beer as it is a little too much tonight. I also am not enjoying it as much straight out of the can as I did in a glass, it feels like something was gained by freeing it from its aluminum prison. All in all still a good beer, but not for all times and places. Its not something I recommend to drink after a thicker beer, like I did tonight, as this made it feel watery in comparison. Maybe I shouldn't have given Minha's the 'cheap beer' late night treatment. Still a good brew but not something I see myself drinking in regularity.

No comments: