Sunday, March 9, 2008

Brooklyn Local 1



'In Williamsburg, Brooklyn, we forge barley malt and hops from Germany, aromatic raw sugar from Mauritius and yeast from Belgium into our latest beer, Brooklyn Local 1. Behind the full golden color you'll find an alluring aroma, a dynamic complex of flavors. Belgian flair, Brooklyn fortitude and a dusting of our special yeast. To create this beer, we use the old technique of 100% bottle re-fermentation, a practice now rare even in Europe. It gives this beer a palate of unusual depth. Enjoy it locally or globally, as an aperitif or with your favorite dishes. It is particularly nice with spicy seafood and with fine cheeses.'

My buddy who really loves sweet beers (Leary) told me to check this out, which should have been a warning sign right there that this stuff would have a little sugar in it. I can tell it's really well made and it tastes good to me, it just feels wasted on someone with my palette. If you are very into Belgian style beers this stuff will make your week, hell it might make your month. To everyone else its 'one of those' beers, albeit an incredibly well crafted one.

At first I taste the acidic flavors when I drink this. Citrus is of course a major theme here but there is a nice aftertaste of cinnamon and cane sugar which adds a lot to this brew. I suck at this. Im going to level with you, this tastes like a lot of other beers of this ilk to me. It's not the beer's fault, believe me it tastes pretty good, I just can't pinpoint why. Most beers of this style make me feel like a kid finishing his vegetables, Local 1 does not make me feel like that whatsoever. Thats about the best I can do guys, sorry.

Please comment about how great this beer is, I wish I could bottle the rest of it up and give it to someone who could better appreciate it.

No comments: