Sunday, January 20, 2008

Goose Island Oatmeal Stout


The bottle itself says 'Oatmeal stout from Goose Island will make you forget every stout you've ever tasted' Well I don't know about all that, but it certaintly is better than most oatmeal stout I have had, although I have to admit stouts are not my expertise.

Many oatmeal stouts I have had in my life have an overwhelming chocolate taste in them that I do not like, luckily Goose Island avoided that with their oatmeal stout. Stouts are not the kind of beer that is drank by many people who are not beer people, with the exception of Guinness which has somehow gained acceptance among the collegiate masses. Why something like chocolate is added to make it more appealing to a market that will probably never even try the drink in the first place escapes me. The absence of chocolate makes Goose Island taste much more like a Russian Stout than anything we see from most breweries. All in all this is a very manly beer that would make a very good toast on armistance day or with a hearty meal consisting of meats. All in all a great beer from a hit and miss distillery that only beer enthusiasts will really appreciate.

No comments: