Monday, January 21, 2008

Sprecher Black Bavarian Style Lager


'This intensely dark Kulmbacher-style lager has a superb malt complexity with the distinctive flavors and aromas of caramelized and chocolate malts. A renowned smoothness and a creamy, tan head make it a world champion' Well don't pat yourselves on the back too much guys...


I actually had to look up 'Kulmbacher' on Wikipedia and found out it is a German brewery that was founded in 1895. So that clears up the name drop on the label, lets move on to the beer itself.


Writing about this in my beer journal is going to be a task because I have no fucking idea what they were trying to convey on the label, so I bought it to try it out. The beer itself is pretty decent, it actually tastes very much like the stout I reviewed yesterday but not as bitter and with a more artsy fartsy aftertaste. I do not taste any hint of malt or caramel in this beer, but the chocolate is definitely there although thankfully not overpowering. The word 'lager' definitely does not come to mind when you drink this at all, since when I think of lagers I think of the more common lighter beers. It makes me want to definitely try out some of their other products though as it is distinct and pretty damn good. I can see myself picking this up every few months for a slight change of pace but it definitely has not blown my mind. Oh yeah, the head to this beer lasted all of twenty seconds too which I thought was bizarre.


Alcohol content 5.8%.

No comments: