Saturday, March 8, 2008

Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale


I'm having difficulties finding information straight from the brewers website to give the 'official' description of this beer. It appears the Kennebuckport Brewing Company is more or less the Sea Dog Brewing Company, both brands distributed through Trader Joe's. I purchased this beer for $3.99 in a six pack from Trader Joe's in March. Obviously, late fall beer sold at the end of the winter, TJ's is trying to get rid of some stock. As well, I tend to have an affinity for this type of sweet / fruity beer towards the end of summer / early fall. It's winter, it's cold, and I like my porters & stouts at this time of year. Nonetheless, I know a good value and decided to take a chance on something cheap from TJ's that wasn't Mountain Creek.

This beer has a golden body with a slight head that dissipates rather quickly. The pumpkin aroma is present but not overpowering. As this is my first beer review I did some research and found others to state the head dissipates much like soda does, which is very true. In essence, this ale tastes like any Miller product but with pumpkin flavors added. The flavor is rather flat and holds a light complexion, does not taste like natural pumpkins but rather pumpkin pie. Light is the big word with this ale, light aroma, light and dry taste, light price! This is the 2nd pumpkin ale I've ever tried, this beer doesn't encourage me to explore more of this, but it also doesn't deter me from trying other pumpkin ales in the future. Seriously though, it's $3.99 for a six pack. It's a great value buy, not a beer I would go out of my way to purchase though.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Welcome aboard

I am definitely going to have to change the name of this blog now

Stephen said...

i need to try this. i love pumpkin ales and feel like i missed out on trying a lot of good ones during the fall season.