Sunday, August 3, 2008

Harpoon India Pale Ale

'The high hopping of Harpoon IPA is not only noticeable in the nose but especially in the finish. The lingering bitter finish of this beer is not harsh or astringent, but crisp and pronounced. This is created, in part, by dry hopping – a technique that involves adding fresh hops to the conditioning beer to provide a fresh hop aroma.'


-From Harpoon's Website

My co-workers husband recommended this beer to me and I was sold as soon as I saw the pretty labels it has. I am a huge sucker for unique labels and bottle caps, what can I say? Sadly I didn't really care for the beer itself.

This might very well be the maltiest IPA to ever grace my fridge and my fridge has been around. Their description on the bottle says the word hops around eight times so I was expecting a bit more in that regard. I wouldn't say Harpoon IPA is a bad beer, it is just different in a way that I don't think is an improvement at all.

I could recommend this to people who dig the maltier style of IPA you often have imported from Great Britain, the land where IPAs were born. Maybe this is more true to tradition than your standard American craft brew (hoppy as all hell) IPA that I have grown accustomed to.Alas, I cannot say I found anything to special about this beer.

Next!

Musical pairing: Blur- Think Tank

No comments: