Wednesday, March 4, 2009

O'Fallon 5 Day IPA

'We dry-hop this American Style India Pale Ale with seven grains and four domestic hop varieties by adding dry whole hops to the finishing tank so the beer rests "on top" of the hops for five extra days! Malty sweetness up front with big cascade and glacier hops in the finish -- a wonderfully drinkable IPA!' -Ofallonbrewery.com


Midwestern pride has become a big factor in my beer purchasing, that and buying from the 'little guys', so O'Fallon was a no brainer because with them I get both! Not to mention the great experience I had with their pumpkin ale a few months back. So how is the 5 Day IPA? Well, its good, but I don't see it winning any awards for artistry.

That sounded like a slight, which is unfair. I suppose I have gotten used to breweries showcasing how fancy they can be, especially with the IPA. With this particular brew you get a nice no frills ale with some nice sticky hope to it that really is as 'drinkeable' as the description would lead you to believe. Fancy that, a beer description with some actual truth to it! I liked this beer and plan on drinking some more at a later date, I just wasn't 'wowed' by it.

Good stuff, I hope to enjoy the entire O'Fallon line at some point. Break out the lawn chairs!

3 comments:

the said...

O'Fallon's is what all microbrewers should be: above average and modest. Their pop art labels rock too.

Anonymous said...

they may have a DIPA in the works. of of the head brewers showcased a DIPA at Buffalo Brewing here in STL. It is REAL good. they did not lowball on the hops.

keep your eye in the near future.

also, their cocoa cream stout is DAMN good as well.

Amateur said...

It's cool to see these midwest beer labels since I'm on the east coast and would otherwise never see them. How many other varieties does O'Fallon make?