Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Revolution Brewing Company

Revolution Brewing Company opened up a few months back and has been packed ever since it opened shop a few months back, which I imagine has a lot to do with Revolution sharing an owner with the bike hipster hot spot Handlebar. You guys don't give a shit. On with the beer!


I went with the Cross of Gold golden ale to pair with my meal, and it was pretty damn good. Crisp, lightly hopped and extremely drinkable. Out of the four or five beers I 'sampled' at Revolution, this was definitely the most session oriented. Simple beer gets a simple description. Pictured to the left.


Eugene- Pretty watery porter, with some hints of chocolate and toffee. I can't say I enjoyed it much, but Andy thought it was pretty good. Andy probably didn't want to hurt the beers feelings, though.  
An extra dollar a pint, so I would recommend a pass.

Iron Fist IPA- 'Dry-hopped American ale featuring Centennial, Cascade, Chinook and Amarillo hop varieties' Definitely of the red rye variety of IPAs, and dryer than a martini. I enjoyed this beer as it was refreshing and pretty tasty, but I couldn't find much to differentiate it from its peers. Basically I plan on throwing one of these in between the half dozen Cross of Golds I will drink next time through. Pictured bottom left.


Bottom Up Wit- Friends and I agreed that this was the weakest showing from Revolution that we tasted. Soapy, marginal head. Not very flavorful, but sugary. 


All in all I think Revolution shows a lot of promise. Although the in house beers didn't blow my mind, they were definitely good enough to warrant a second or third visit. And who knows, with an expanding beer list that third time might be the day they unveil their masterpiece. Being right off the blue line can't hurt my chances of stumbling in there, either.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm from Indy but we stumbled across this place last weekend. The beer was pretty good, service was great and the bacon fat popcorn was awesome!

Matt said...

I am certainly rooting for them, and bacon makes everything that much better. It's funny that is the one thing people always bring up about Revolution.

Let's Find H-Man A Wife said...

I had a simple lager at concert in Chicago and it was terrific.