Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Dogfish Head 90min Imperial IPA

'What you have here is an Imperial India Pale Ale featuring a single, constant 90-minute hop addition. It's balanced by a ridiculous amount of English Two-row Barley. Then we dry-hop it in every tank.'


I'll start this off by saying that I'm not a huge fan of IPA's. In fact, I'm not really a fan of IPA's at all. Call me crazy, but I like a beer that I can actually ENJOY drinking, not one that after every drink makes me feel like the back of my tongue just had a meet-and-greet with the business end of a 9 volt battery. Then again, any beer that you can smell the second you crack it open(and I don't mean that skunky green-bottle smell) has to have something going for it, right? Well, yes and no. Despite being an IPA, the Dogfish Head variety doesn't have the overly sour aftertaste I've found with its brethren. Oh there's a distinct bitterness, but it's a good healthy hoppy bitterness. Like, really hoppy. It also happens to be a 9% alcohol beer, though I'm not sure that has anything to do with the taste/brewing process/style etc. So it goes. Perhaps I'm a bit biased because of previous experiences, but I just can't see myself drinking this on a regular basis. If you're a fan, then by all means check it out because I'm sure it's a good one.

5 comments:

Matt said...

This sounds like something I might like, but I agree on not being too into IPAs. I haven't had too many Dogfish beers at all, I need to rectify that.

sonnett said...

everyone keeps recommending this beer to me as well. But I really enjoy IPA's.

Dave said...

Although I've only been really into craft beers for the last year or so, I just don't get the attraction to IPAs. Sure they have a ton of hops in them, but the bitterness is something that just doesn't appeal to me. I'm more of a malt-head than a hop-head anyway. Give me a decent amber, porter or stout over those hopaholic drinks any day. IPA's are drinks that need to be consumed along with food, otherwise it leaves you feeling like you've got a mouthful of leaves in your mouth.

Matt said...

A mouthful of leaves... hilarious

Matt said...

IPA's and DIPA's are are on of my favorite style of beers. 90 min is one of the best out there. I agree that I don't like a hop bomb that is just overly hoppy to be overly hoppy, but it must have a good amount of malt to round out the bitterness.

If you like lots of malt to balance out the hoppiness I would suggest trying a good barleywine. They can have the hop power of a DIPA, but the are more heavily based on malt as well, but for my money a well made DIPA like Yulesmith can't be beat.