Saturday, May 3, 2008

Schlitz 1960's Recipe

The day has arrived my friends, the day has arrived. Well it actually arrived a few weeks ago but it took me awhile for my lazy ass to track some Schlitz down. I purchased this particular six pack for $6.99 at a Binny's in Evanston, Illinois.

So what does the old recipe Schlitz taste like? Well to be perfectly honest it tastes like the newer/cheaper recipe with the volume turned up. More hops, more earthy spices and even more carbonation make this taste a lot fuller and of overall better quality. Malt is an afterthought in this recipe If you can't tell yet I am very much a fan of this beer. Schlitz now hearkens back to when large production beers didn't all have to taste like shit, a golden era of beer that numerous old drunks have told me about at dive bars.

I think it is worth the price, but some will disagree with me. Fans of cheap beer that have a few bucks to spend, do it. The extra two dollars goes a long way in flavor when it comes to the new/old Schlitz. For those that want to continue buying Schlitz on the cheap, the watered down recipe will still be available in cans at the lower price (So I hear).

8 comments:

Fred said...

Well, this confirms it for me - I need to track some down.

CorrND said...

I used to drink quite a bit o' Schlitz back in the day. I'd love to try some of the old recipe. I haven't looked around yet, but if I remember correctly, it's only been released in Chicago, right? I'll have to look for it the next time I visit my brother.

Erik Huntoon said...

My dad lives in the burbs of Chitown and just picked up a couple sixers of this. He tried and it and claimed that it would be a great session beer. I am looking forward to seeing him in a few weeks and getting one of those sixers in the fridge to sample on my own.

sonnett said...

Schlitz...reminds me of college.

PS - I Like the redesign.

Matt said...

I have already had a few people tell me I am wrong on this one, which wouldn't be the first one.

My buddy called this a marketing ploy... which makes me want to sit down with both varieties and get a little bit more scientific.

Does anyone have a lab coat and a clipboard I can borrow?

Andy said...

I had this down in FL this weekend and it tasted pretty good. I never tried the original version so I have no basis of comparison, but I did want to burn the flag, so maybe the 60s recipe is true? I can't remember if it was a Confederate flag or an American flag though...

Anonymous said...

Good beer, nice price. It is nice to have an affordable option to premium beers, every dollar counts with gas @ $4+/gallon.

Anonymous said...

This is not only a good beer but the best I've ever drunk from a 40oz bottle! One day when I'm homeless I hope that somebody will be kind enough to drop $2 into my raggedy Detroit Tigers hat and pay for my inner campfire for the night.