Thursday, May 8, 2008

Stone Ruination IPA

'So called because of the immediate ruinous effect on your palate. 100+ IBUs. Bracingly bitter. Thick, pungent hop aroma. We would say that no hops were injured in the brewing of this beer, but that would be a massive lie. In fact, the words "Stone Ruination IPA" are what older hop vines use to cause little hop vines to quiver with fright and lose sleep at night . We at Stone honor the brutal massacre of countless hops with this "Liquid poem to the glory of the hop!" Paganism at its best!'

The great name and a stylish bottle caught my eye while I was browsing through the store. I know my picture does not do it any justice but the label is a sweet gargoyle/demon that fits perfectly well with the heaven and hell motif Stone has going on. One of the nicer looking bottles I have picked up recently, not that you can tell from my shit photography skills.

So how is the beer? Ruination is exactly what I have been looking for lately- an IPA that will get me my hop fix without being completely over the top. You know how an IPA can make your tongue feel tired? Ruination doesn't overwork your taste buds so much as stimulate them evenly, which I really enjoyed. So far this is my favorite IPA because it falls between the two categories of IPAs I have had- boring and overwhelming. Your usual suspects are all there- citrus flavors, sticky malts and electric hops except they all work in tandem instead of fighting for position like in so many brews. I was very pleased with this beer and I look forward to 'examining' it some more this summer, along with the rest of their line of brews.

Oh yeah, my buddy Sonnett beat me to this one. His page is really picking up the pace and is a good read.

No comments: