Thursday, May 1, 2008

New Glarus Road Slush Stout

'This dark ale is a hearty and satisfying reward for those of us who embrace the frozen tundra. Uncut oatmeal fresh from Chilton, Wisconsin gives this Stout a "sink into it" smoothness that slides you into its depth. Handcrafted English Chocolate malt and Wisconsin Victory malt combine to balance this robust ale. Expect this ale to pour a luxurious rich head over a rich black ruby body. The powerful malt bouquet will greet you as you tip this silky smoothness from your glass. Our Oatmeal Stout is handcrafted in the time-honored traditions. Serve just above room temperature and relax -- road construction season will soon return.'

Sorry guys, I don't like my beer at room temperature. Weird for a guy who loves stouts, I know. Actually come to think of it I don't like many things at room temperature. In fact in the winter I crank the heat and in the summer I overdose on AC, so my room is all over the place. What the hell am I talking about? Oh yeah, beer.

I like the roasted malts in this beer, but they are a tad overpowering. Some vanilla. Chocolate, but more of a bitter dark chocolate feel than what I am used to. The obligatory coffee makes an appearance. There is a lot going on in this beer to the extent that it feels like it is going in a dozen different directions at once. Not very cohesive, but its so damn complicated you have to give it another try.

You know The Brothers Karamazov? The first time I read that book I had no fucking clue what was going on, but I knew there was something there. Now it is one of my favorites. Maybe that is a bad reference because Road Slush might be far from a masterpiece, but it certainly will need another go before I can put a finger on the flavors running riot within. It unravels, if you will. You won't? Well shit, I'm reviewing Blatz tonight, that might be more up your alley.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Road Slush sounds like a pothole in wintertime.

The green movement is popular the last year or so. I think it will last a while as more and more people try to find ways of reducing energy consumption. Just wishing to curb my gasoline consumption. Buy more local beer!

I've got 3 more hours to get home also. Gonna drink a Dogfish Head 90-min IPA tonight for the 1st time. Hope I survive the blast of hops and flavor!

Matt said...

I'm going hoppy tomorrow night, but I really want to drink the Stone IPA I have in the fridge...